Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

Is there a minimum amount of debt owed in order to file

Is there a minimum amount of debt owed in order to file bankruptcy? What are the guidelines?
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: I live in Wyoming and no nothing has been filed.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, nothing has been filed or reported but I am in way over my head in credit card debt and am on disability and can no longer make the minimum payments due.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

There is no minimum debt requirement to file for bankruptcy, there is only a maximum debt limit for Chapter 13 bankruptcy (roughly $1.5 million).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I owe approx. $5,000 in credit card debt, however I am disabled and have stopped receiving child support and other monies and only receive a little over $700. monthly. I can no longer afford to make the minimum monthly payments and am in way over my head. Is bankruptcy the way to go? Total monthly payments are close to $800. and I can only afford about $220.