LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer
Experience:  General practitioner with diverse legal experience.
60109343

FOR LEGALPRO54 My daughter is selling an airplane that she

FOR LEGALPRO54
My daughter is selling an airplane that she owns which is in Texas. She is in California. She's concerned about signing over the plane before getting the money and the buyer wants her to sign first, then he'll send the money. They tried a title company for aircraft, but it was only going to file the bill of sale. It would act as an escrow agent and handle the money for a extra $250 fee. My daughter thought they could split the fee and do that. The buyer said that he would put a clause in the contract that says that the sale is contingent on her receiving the money. Then the person in Texas would not hand over the keys until she says she has the money. Does that sound safe?

Hi Marie,

That sounds like a proposal where things could go wrong, if you want my honest opinion. I would spend the money for the escrow agent. The cost must be small relative to the sale price of the plane, which I can only assume is substantial. This is what escrow agents are for.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....