KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

My dad died a couple months ago, what i thought was a joint

my dad died a couple months ago, what i thought was a joint bank account with my mom, dad and myself, i just found out it is a joint account with me and him and my mom as a beneficiary. its not my money, its my moms, my name was put on the account so i could help out to deposit checks and get money out for them. i was told today to get a disclaimer to reliniquish interest of an account form, is there a standard form i can get or download?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: ca
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: my dad didnt make a will, but first thing i did was get my mom a trust. we were trying to get all the accounts into a trust
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have all the forms, death certificate, just need to know the right direction to go

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

What are you trying to do? To take your name off the account? Or, something else?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its a rather large account and trying to put it in my Moms name and out of my name (also i would end up paying taxes on it and i dont touch it, since its not my money). once its in my mom's name, it will be switched over to the "forbes family trust", until that time when my mother would die, which i would hope she would spend the money!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hearing impaired, easier to type...sorry

Is your mom's name already on the account?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, she is the beneficiary

Okay. Last question. Is there a separate trust instrument (document) which controls this (you being the trustee, her the beneficiary) of the bank account, or not?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, she has the living trust, this one bank account was my Dad's, for some reason, he was primary, i was joint and she was beneficiary. with he died, i became primary, she stayed beneficiary. i take the hit for taxes, unless i come up with a form for a "disclaimer to relinquish interest of an account", so that's what the senior banker told me to request, i just cant find the form on line

I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.

Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck.

I'm another expert. I believe this is the form the bank is requesting. Here is a link.http://www.prudential.com/media/managed/Model_Disclaimer_Form.pdfI hope this helps and clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars.
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW