Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
99580155

I would like to start a business creating scents from fairy

I would like to start a business creating scents from fairy tales. Although I imagine I couldn't say something like, this scent is from Cinderella's carriage, could I make a scent that dances around the story with no artwork and no reference to Cinderella. Say something like, this is a scent from the pumpkin carriage of a girl with only one shoe... I'm just not sure if that's a copyright infringement or intellectual property issue.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Generally, you cannot infringe on copyright material. However, most fairy tale stories (including Cinderella) are in the public domain. This means, you can make any reference to Cinderella you want, but you do need to be careful not to reference the specific Disney version (such as posting photographs or referring to something that was only in the Disney version). Many other Disney stories are from the public domain as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to clarify, if I bought a book of Grimm's Fairy Tales and I developed scents on what I thought a house or a magical object or an enchanted forest, for example, I could use the titles in the descriptor on the packaging? I understand that Disney and other companies who have developed fairy tales like Frozen, etc, would be out of the question, but original fairy tales could still be used or mentioned. I could say a special recipe of Goldilocks, and wouldn't have to say a fav recipe from a girl with golden locks and three furry friends...? Sorry if I am asking the same question again. Just want to make sure I understand. Thanks!

That is correct. I'm glad I could help! I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Here is a good website that has a list of non-copyrighted books: http://www.gutenberg.org/