How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5732
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in the restaurant business and catering business

Customer Question

I have been in the restaurant business and catering business for many years someone just posted a defamatory review stating I closed my restaurant because of restaurant cockroach infestation. This is not true we lost our lease because they raised our rent from 6500.00 to 9000.00 per month. They leased it to someone else after we were there for 30 years. We have another restaurant and catering business and this has hurt our business. I have a impeccable record with the Health Department. And have saved all my documents for the past 10 years proving that we have nothing but A's. This person has hurt our business what can I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to go after this person for defaming my business
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

Online review cases are relatively complex because you first have to learn the identity of the person posting a review. And, how you do that is to first file a lawsuit against the website (E.G., yelp) and a John Doe party, and then once you filed the suit you demand from the website the identity of the person… The website is then dismissed from the matter and that usually take the post down after litigation is filed. From that point you have a straightforward case of defamation , tortious interference, slander in which you would have to prove financial loss as a result of the negative rating in review. They would be liable to you for cash damages as well as pain and suffering.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.