How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1624
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing the form W-4 because I am the new employee, Am I

This answer was rated:

I am filing the form W-4 because I am the new employee,
Am I consider the exemption of withholding? Do I need to fill the deductions and adjustments worksheet of the 2nd page?
Good afternoon.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good afternoon!
Good morning.You are only considered exempt from withholding if Last year:You had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I had no tax liability, and
This year you expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you expect to have no tax liability. If you meet both conditions then you are Exempt.You could use the worksheet to calculate how many deductions to write on the W-4, but if you are a single person and no dependents you can claim "1" yourself.
I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just got a job last month, my husband and I file the join tax return, we don't have any tax libility last year; also we don't have any kids and we will file join tax return this year. Some of the 2nd page details I don't have a clue, can you help me a little bit later?
You would need the 2nd work sheet to determine how many exemptions to take. Compile your questions regarding the worksheet and I will answer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not the exemption and my allowances is 2. The sheet "Deductions and Adjustments worksheet"-1. Enter an estimate of your 2017 itemized deductions. What is this?
In this section they are trying to determine the proper amount of taxes to take out of your check.In section 1 they want you to estimate your itemized deductions for this year. If you don't itemize but use the standard deductions then you don't have to use the worksheet. The worksheet is only a worksheet to help you arrive at the proper withholding either 0,1, or 2.
As the number of your allowances increases, the amount of money withheld from your paycheck decreases. So if you claim 0 they will withhold more taxes from each paycheck and if you claim 2 they will withhold less taxes. As a general rule most married persons claim 1, and it increases their federal returns. If you claim 0 you will pay less taxes and get back less money at tax time.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my income about 240,000per year, and my husband is 340,000 per year, we together is about 580,000 per year, could you give me any clue about claim allowance for 1 or 2? I want not too much withheld from my paycheck and the tax return is not too bad
I have an easier way to figure out your withholding. Here is a link to a work sheet W-4 calculator that I always recommend when completing the W-4. It's easier than the worksheet. don't forget to rate the question with stars.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I claim 1, do I need to fill the form"Two-Earners/multiple jobs sheet"?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if I filling the joint, the table 1&2 are for the hold family income or just I?
Tables 1 & 2 apply to both of you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My final question is the "Deductions and Adjustments worksheet", If I don't fill it and use the standard deduction, how and when should I do it? thanks!
The worksheet only applies if you itemize with mortgage interest, real estate taxes, medical expenses, student loan interests. So you can't use the formula if you don't itemize on your tax return.
KJL LAW and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got it, Thank you so much!