Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am my moms legal guardian. if something should happen to…

Customer Question
I am my moms...

I am my moms legal guardian. if something should happen to me what can i do now to keep my sister from gaining custody. She wants to get her hands on our moms pensions, social security and Va benefits.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had to file for legal guardianship,of which my sister tried to block by taking me to court. I was awarded custody. I had to pay a lawyer over 3000.00 for this case. I have no money to pay a lawyer now. I am 74years old and my mom will be 92 tomorrow.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Stockbridge georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I moved here from Phila in 1976 and my mom moved in 1979. My sister moved here in 2012 under the pretense of helping me care for our mom.Very soon i found out the real reason she moved. She does have power of attorney after me signed in 2012. My mom has dementia and is confined to a wheelchair due to a stroke.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
8/16/2017
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

About the best way to prevent your sister from applying to become guardian over your mother in the event something happens to you is to find someone else now, while you are still well and active, to be approved by the court to become a Co-Legal Guardian with you. That way, in the event something happened to you, the Co-Guardian would continue to serve as the sole guardian of your mother and that would prevent your sister from forcing herself into a guardian position.

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney