How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34486
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have cancer and am living on my social security of 644 a

This answer was rated:

I have cancer and am living on my social security of 644 a month i have some state benefits I am being sued by my auto loan for non payment dont know how to handle
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Texas 2013 honda civic
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes jp court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. While I am happy to speak to you, there is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

I am sorry to hear of your trouble.

Do you have any other assets (not encumbered by a loan or mortgage)?

Has the car been repossessed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no income quit work to deal with illness yes car repossessed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can you help or just want money

Thank you for the additional information.

Without any assets to attach, there may not be any reason to respond.

Your social security is exempt from commercial creditor claims.

So, even if they get a judgment, there may be nothing for the lender to go after to satisfy the judgment. You are what we refer to as "judgment proof".

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Loren and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you