Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

TItle insurance question. Florida. I am still investigating

Customer Question
TItle insurance question JA: What state...
TItle insurance question
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO, I am still investigating whether I have a claim
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
8/16/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley

please be more specific?

I had some water damage to the home, soffit, fascia, gutters. When all this was torn out for repair. . . .everyone stopped and told me I had bigger issues than what was apparent at the time. So I had an inspection done and they argreed something wasn't quite right. THe slope, pitch etc. . of the roof was off. THe roof is 15 years old and has passed many inspections.
Now I am awaiting an engineer to come to the house and do his inspection and make a report. Since it involves over 25% of my roof. The are recommending a new roof system
no we can text
I just got copy of my owners title policy and no where can I find an exclusion for violation of building codes. My homeowners policy has ordinance coverage. Don't know if that helps me or not but the roof does need to rebuilt to todays codes
THis has all happened this week, I have not made a claim to my insurance carrier for obvious reasons. So the repair is exposed to elements now and no one will take the liability of risk to even do a repair and will not guarantee their work because of the roof defect.
a repair can be done but it wont correct the underlying problem that caused the issue. This will only happen again.
this defect I think. . . .(my opinion here) would affect the mortgage companys interest in the property and am I obligated to report this?
now the home will be uninsurable and I would have to disclose the defect if I sold the home. No one would take on this amount of repair.

there is nothing you can do about this issue with the title insurance

Title insurance has nothing to do with the condition of the property

I agree homeowners will not cover since I am assuming that the damage occurred over time and not a sudden event

You can try to sue the previous owner

I thought that would be the case, with the title company and the homeowners insurance. I was "reaching: I guess to find a way to get this covered. Yes, it was not a sudden event. Previous homeowners are deceased. But now the problem reverts back to how I get it repaired since, 4 contractors have declined to this repair! I am so frustrated!

I am surprised that there is not someone who can do the repair

I get it is trouble but there should be someone who can help

maybe able to go after inspection company but they are normally indemnified.

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer