I am married and seeking a divorce but I still stay in the…

Hi I am married...

Hi I am married and seeking a divorce but I still stay in the house, is it possible to still file for divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ca right now but I am in the military

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

8/16/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am sorry you are having to deal with this. That can be a very tough experience to go through. Yes, a person may remain in the house so long as there are not protective orders, and provided the court does not issue an order granting the other spouse the exclusive use and possession of the family home. Normally that is only issued upon request and if the financial situation allows for the spouse to secure alternate housing. Some couples will reside together until the divorce is final, due to the expense of maitaining 2 homes, but this tends to work best when it is an amicable divorce.
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer