Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm trying to object to a subpoena and need to know what

Customer Question
I'm trying to object to...
I'm trying to object to a subpoena and need to know what specific grounds are allowed for objecting.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. I'm completing the SubP-025, Notice to Consumer/Employee
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm a police officer and believe my employment info is privileged.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
8/13/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed CA attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. So, under Section 1987.1 of the CCP, generally there aren't specific reasons outlined by law that allow you to submit a motion to quash this particular subpoena. Basically, you would just need to explain to the court why you believe that this subpoena should be quashed. Because there could be a thousand reasons why a person may not want to produce a particular document, statement, or thing, then it's really going to be up to you. If you believe that disclosing your employment information pursuant to the subpoena is going to violate your rights, then that's something that you can explain to the court. As a side note, you can explain that under Article 1 of the California Constitution, you have a right to privacy. Whether the argument works is going to be up to the judge and I couldn't predict for you, but basically you would just need to organize and outline your reasons and it submitted to the court.

Before you rate your opinion of my service, do you have any other questions for me?

Tina, Lawyer