Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I just received a certified letter from a law firm. Saying…

I just received a...

I just received a certified letter from a law firm. Saying that the company I had fired had asked another company to put a lien on my property. I never hired the other company nor that company had done anything at my house.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean? This is what I got.:You are hereby notified that the undersigned, North American concrete, co. ('.NACC")
located at p.O.Box 537, Highland Park, IL 60035 has been requested by T/S Concrete & Asphalt
Solutions, lnc. and/or Tim and Sheila Korinek individually and dlblaTls Concrete & Asphalt
Solutions,lnc. (Collectively ,,T/S Concrete") to fumish concrete and related material, under
NACC's contract with T/S Concrete on the property commonly known as 1893 Big Oak Circle,
Northbrook,IL 6}O62and the undersigned delivered material and there is now due the
undersigned th" r,r* of Four Thousand Three Hundred Three and 61/100 ($4,303'61)'

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is a fraud in my mind and how can I stop it.

8/13/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Are you saying that you never had any concrete or asphalt work done by either of these companies on your property?

.

.

thanks

No, I hired TS concrete to dig a basement for me for $38K. He started the work after taking 24k from us. He only opened a hole in my house and took all of the dirt out and put under pins. Then he requested more money and wanted to change the contract for $12k more to the original. He said of you don't pay me the extra I am not doing the job. Left the house in the air. I requested a waiver of lien from him. The waiver of lien does not have North American Concrete on it. I never saw them, I never hired them and they never done anything on my property.
TS stopped working on my house May 17 and that is when I received the waiver of lien which includes prairie concrete and the Jose trucking company and TS, no one else on the waiver of lien. So What are my options in regards ***** ***** (North American Concrete)
Are you still here

Ok, then is this wasn't a subcontract situation, and there wasn't actually any concrete delivered, then you don't owe this other company anything.

.

Further if TS has given you a waiver, then they don't have any authority to ask this other company to file a lien on their behalf.

.

You can respond to them by stating that you never had a contract with NAC, never agreed to have them perform work on your property and if they file a lien on your property you will sue them for "slander on title" for both compensatory and punitive damages to get any lien dissolved and for their malicious and fraudulent actions.

.

That should make them think twice about filing a lien on your property.

.

.

thanks

This is what I have received from them. Is this a lien against my property or are they going to put a lien on it?Thanks,
Do I need a lawyer for this and do you practice in Illinois?

Yes, that is a lien that they have already filed. The letter from the law firm is the notice that the lien has been filed.

.

And yes, you will need an attorney to file a motion to dissolve the lien and to sue them for damages if the lien is unwarranted and invalid.

.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need local counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews. You would be looking for a real estate attorney or construction law attorney.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Thanks,Bashar
Barrister, Attorney