Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My best friend passed away unexpectedly last Thursday 3Aug

My best friend passed away unexpectedly last Thursday 3Aug in Akron, Ohio during vacation...I was notified by the local Medical Examiners office as I was the only phone number and name he had with his personal belongings...We live in Hawaii and since the news I was able to give them a name of his next of kin who lives in Ohio...they found her and up to date she seems to be taking matters into her own hands as far as claiming responsibility regarding his remains...after that we're not sure what happens to his estate...at this point and time we have no information weather or not he had a will...his sister is his only relative they were both adopted and parents are deceased...as a friend who knows him I'm the only contact his sister has (we've just met online)...the deceased and his sister has had no contact with each other for around eight years...she's been relying on me for any information pertaining to her brother...I'm not comfortable with the situation, what should I do?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes, Jim, the deceased lived on Oahu in Hawaii for approximately 30 years...he was originally from Ohio...but very established as a resident in Hawaii..he retired from the US Postal Service in the past year he died at age 55
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, not yet not with me as I'm only a friend, his sister lives in Ohio...and as of yesterday she has not....
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, most important I want to know weather or not I should continue to give Jim's sister anymore information....

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You should give her what you have.They will need to look for a will and last years tax return.That would tell you if there are any real assets and whether probate is worth it.I would cooperate tot he extent you can, your friend would likely have wanted that.The sister may be the legal heir if there was no will here.This is all you can do really, there may be no assets to warrant probate.

I appreciate the chance to help you, so sorry for your loss.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.