Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My sister has been living with me for 31/2years(shes83 & has

My sister has been living...
My sister has been living with me for 31/2years(shes83 & has alzheimers) Her daughter takes her for supposedly 1 week but refuses to give her back to me(her daughter and her worthless husband will not let metalk to her on the telephone & I'm afraid to go to their house because he has guns but getting to my reason for you is she the same as kidnapped her!I am her Power of Attorney ---what and how can I get my sister back with me (I know she would rather live with me than her daughter as there living conditions are fairly dirty & etc. she has told me that herself and I have also been to their house previously but I know better not to go their and the Sherriff sys they don't really do things like going with me to the door. PLEASE PLEASE ADVISE me on what I can do Please!!!!!
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Illinois and her daughter is in Iowa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes with Human Services and tomorrow I am contacting
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: adult Protective Services--I Think they are doing this for her money (she is not wealthy but gets $1195.00 plus a couple of check for around $160.0& I think it was another for $140.00)
8/12/2017
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are power of attorney and have the documents, the police can assist you in getting her released from the daughter in many instances. If the police will not order them to return her, since she is mentally incapacitated and you have proof of power of attorney, you would need to get to court in IA if that is where she is located and go through APS to assist you in enforcing the power of attorney. APS should honor the power of attorney documents and if not you would need to get to an attorney in IA to file a petition for guardianship and to get her back from the daughter.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney