LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My daughter has been picked up on a failure to appear

My daughter has been picked up on a failure to appear warrant. She had previously had a court judgement for a DUI as a fine, community service, and an alcohol class. Which if all were then defendant presence would be waived. She was under the impression that all was completed but the alcohol class has not yet been satisfied thus the warrant. In your opinion what is the best and worse scenario for when comes in front of the judge? She is in the state of Washington.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: State of Washington, warrant was issued sometime in October '16. No one was aware of the situation as she attended college last year on the SE Coast.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure your question. She was picked up this past Wednesday during an ID check at a local city park with no citation issued at the time. She was in the city park with friends and a city policeman came up and ran their IDs.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She is currently sitting in County Jail waiting transfer to the next county where the DUI occurred. So just trying to get an idea of best/worse case scenario and what time frame range could this take (estimation), thanks.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. What was the reason she never completed the alcohol class? Did she complete it but they never forwarded the information to show completion?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Prior to leaving for college last year she called her Public Defender to see if she had everything done but never responded so she went to school.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't need you to call
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bot***** *****ne poor communication on her and attorney end, then poor decision by her to go to school without a clear status on her judgement.

Why would she call her PD and ask if she did everything is she knew she did not take the class?

Are you saying she never received her paper work nor knew what was required of her? Is that her argument?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That I can't say as she only allowed one call per day so information from her is limited.

Thank you for the reply. It is always best for a defendant to be upfront and honest with the Judge. If she really did not know what was required of her and had no clue regarding this class, she needs to admit to it and ask the Judge if they would consider releasing her and allowing her to complete the class within 30 or 45 days. She can explain to the Judge to issue with school and needing to leave and the breakdown of communication with her attorney and see if it would be a mitigating factor for the court to consider. Seeing how the only unresolved issue is the class, the court should allow her to simply complete it, at this time, as she has sat in jail enough.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The paper work given her at judgement just had the fine amount, and initials of things she had to also get done. I recently read the papers given her and it has the fine amount, the initials CS and ADIS. I had to call the court to find out what these stood for and CS is community service and ADIS is the alcohol class.

She could argue she ad no clue what these stood for and the order was vague and her attorney failed to go over it with her. The Judge may come back and ask why she did not call the court, like you did, to find out, so she should have a reasonable answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I surely hope so but what worried me is that her bail amount was so high that there was something heavy hanging unknown. I know why she did not call the court is that she thought her communication had to go through her assigned Public Defender.

You may be right. There could be something else, if a bail is set this high. You could try and look online, to see if there is anything else pending.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have called the county court to find out what the warrant was for and the reason is judgement is non-compliant due to the missing class. Could it be because it is out of county warrant? Where she got the DUI she was attending college one county over and we do not live in that county.

If the bail amount is high and excessive, a motion could be filed to reduce it. However, if she goes before the Judge soon, it may be easier to ask to be released and be given additional time to complete the class, to close this out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am hoping she goes before the judge sometime next week and the bail in my opinion is excessive compared to others who are in the local jail where she is now. Anyway you have been a great help and I thank you.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will due and thanks again.

My pleasure.