Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

In NJ.....if the title owner of a piece of property has

passed away...How long does the...
In NJ.....if the title owner of a piece of property has passed away...How long does the family have to take ownership of it before the state / fed gov can take it over?
8/10/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. According to one of my most trusted sources, “Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 3B:10-23, the Executor under a Will or the Administrator of an intestate estate is obligated to settle and distribute a decedent’s estate ‘as expeditiously and efficiently as is consistent with the best interest of the estate’.”

All this really means is that a person that is in charge of the estate that needs to have the property transferred from the deceased person to the rightful heirs consistent with the will or consistent with the inheritance laws of the state of New Jersey. The Lord is not pleased a specific timeline on when the property must transfer. It just has to be transferred as quickly as possible.

With that said, the only reason that the state or federal government would take it over is if there's going to be unpaid taxes. Even then, the state of federal government cannot simply take the property over, they would have to place a lien on the property. The only time that they would be able to take the property over as if the taxes weren't paid on the home and it was sold at a tax sale. How long that takes depends on a variety of factors including the size of the tax bill And how much the person that is managing the state cooperates with the state or federal government.

Before we continue on, I want to make sure that you understand where I'm at so far. Did you have any other questions for me

Okay...so if I understand correctly...the transfer should take place as quickly as possible, yet there is truly no specified time frame in which the transaction must take place.
As for the state/fed taking it over...there could be no immediate transfer to them, and this would only take place if there were outstanding taxes or liens for an extended period. Even then notification of the sale due to tax lien would have to be communicated.

That's correct. The transfer should take place as quickly as possible, but the law does not place a specific timeline on it. As far as whether the property would be transferred to the state, you're correct, it would only be if they were outstanding taxes or liens for an extended period. They would also notified well in advance of any tax sale that would take place as a result. One thing that I left out is that if for some reason there was nobody to accept the property, only then would it go to the state. If there are heirs, which in most cases they're almost is always at least one heir to the property, even a long lost heir, only then will the state have to step in and take the property, but that would have to be after an exhaustive and fruitless search. Did you have any other question for me?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer