I am appealing my worker's compensation case but I cannot…

I am appealing my...

I am appealing my worker's compensation case but I cannot find a lawyer to represent me. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed the Review/Claim Paperwork and submitted the court transcript.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I just need help in writing my brief before the deadline.

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/9/2017
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

I presume you tried contacting workers comp law firms or you're not sure where to look? Where in MI are you -- nearest big city? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have; but I'm in Flint, Michigan

Okay, thank you. Is your case in Flint also?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, it's in Pontiac, Michigan Oakland County. I worked in Pontiac.

Okay thank you. Did you check in Pontiac, Flint, or both?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both, as well as, other cities such as Detroit, Troy, Warren plus more.

Wow, that's crazy. Do they say why they won't take the case?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Some have said because they did not begin with my case and others have said they do not take appeal cases.

Okay, thank you. Some probably don't know how to do an appeal.

Here's a start with one site for Detroit and I'll find others for you:

http://www.lawyers.com/workers-compensation/detroit/michigan/law-firms/

Pontiac:

http://www.lawyers.com/workers-compensation/pontiac/michigan/law-firms/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you; but they may think it's too late. I have to have my brief submitting to the Appeal Court by next Friday. I have been trying to find an appeal online to help me with content. That has been impossible too.

I'm not a WC lawyer but I am an appellate attorney so I write briefs. We do document review and preparation here for a separate fee.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me what that consist of?

I'd have to check to see what's entailed in a WC brief. I can look into the matter and see what's involved. If not, you may want to submit another question to see if anyone is interested in writing a WC brief. There may or may not be others here that are willing to do it. I can check into it in the meantime.

I did WC law a long time ago. Haven't done WC appeals but I see what the appeals process is about in MI and have seen some written work about it.

I see a sample 13 page brief. This is on appeal and you are the original petitioner?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am

Yes, okay.

I see another sample 18 page brief.

Your best bet may be to follow the pro se listings for doing this yourself and I can review it for you. It would be a lot cheaper that way.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is a pro se listing?

There are sites I've found that have instructions for doing a WC brief pro se.

If you do it yourself, I can review it for you and edit.

That will be a lot cheaper than if I were to write from start to finish and research for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, how much do you charge for you to review it and how much do you charge if you wrote the brief?

What I can do is send you links to the pro se sites.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, how can I contact you?

If I'm going to write it and research it, it's going to be high. Out of reach high.

If I will review it, I can make an offer right now and do that for you when it's ready. See premium service. I'm trying to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I really appreciate that.

This is not for editing family work -- this would be for editing WC appellate brief. Please ignore the description but this is for reviewing and editing WC appellate brief.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not taking my card for some reason. Can I pay it by credit card tomorrow?

This is totally up to you. If this is do-able, I'll send you some pro-se sites and we can take it from there. We can correspond by email after this is accepted.

Sure. I'm here usually every day.

If you can accept my answer right now, that would help, and then we can do the offer tomorrow.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

I'll be happy to work with you and I'll work with your schedule. I'll work within your deadline too. I am keenly aware of deadlines, believe me; appellate attorneys always are.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This would be a big for me, so I would like to hire you for the editing and reviewing.

I can also let you check out my status on one of the sites after we exchange info tomorrow so you can see my credentials.

You got it. I'm happy to help. It's a lot cheaper this way and you know your case inside and out. You will want to use Google Scholar to get some case law though. That will help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to come back on this site and ask for you and pay the fee?

Just come right back into this room. I'd appreciate if you can just rate me for today and then we can continue this tomorrow. You will have access to this room tomorrow once I'm rated.

I'll be happy to give you my credentials so you know who you are dealing with.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will rate you. That will be great. Also, where can I find the pro se listing?

I can help you with that. I'll send a few here. See what you like, what you don't.

Thanks in advance for rating me. I'll check in with you tomorrow. I'll get an email when you are looking for me. I may not be online just then but I will see it sometime tomorrow. Thank you!

FamilyAttorney
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your time. I will be here tomorrow to get started.

Thanks so much!

Yep, no problem. As I said, I am usually here every day, sometimes take a day off here and there. May not be here Thurs or Fri, one or the other but will be here tomorrow. Some of the stuff I sent you might not help but some of it will. There is a sample form at that back of the packet, last link. There are other sample briefs. Just ask for me here tomorrow, I will get an email. Just come right back into this room. Thanks!