Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I bought a vehicle in 3/31/17 and cannot register it because…

I bought a vehicle...

I bought a vehicle in 3/31/17 and cannot register it because the previous owner did not transfer the title into his name when he bought it (and THAT title had white-out on it). Although he says he filed a lien and had me sign a power of attorney to get the CA titled directly in my name, he has not corresponded with me and now it is 8/8/17 and still no title. I am unable to sell my vehicle this was to replace because I need to drive and right now I am out $12,000.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the basic terms of the Power of Attorney agreement?

It was to give his secretary the ability to file on my behalf for a vehicle transfer and reassignment form.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They have not said whether they did or not despite requests. I sent them the docs Fedex on 7/10.

8/8/2017
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you can sue for the $12K you paid?

No, I am just wondering what my legal course of action should be. How long do I have to wait before I find out if a title is coming to me so I can register and use the vehicle? He sold it to me fraudulently as he should have titled it in his name back in Nov-Dec 2015 when he bought it. Had he done so they would have found the title was altered and he would have been able to correct it at that time. Now I am the owner (paid for insurance the last 4 months) and cannot register or title it in GA due to his actions.

Did you make the purchase in GA? And does he reside in GA?

No, I bought the vehicle from an owner in CA, had it shipped to where I live in GA.

Thanks
I have some thoughts and will type them up. Also, I am sending the offer for a phone call.

This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need. But if you do not wish to speak on the phone, no worries, just let me know and I will keep typing up an answer.

P. Simmons, Attorney

Thank you for using the phone option. Please give a call (or let me know if you can not see my #)

When he sent me the paperwork I told him "I can't use this title" and said he could get the previous owner to apply for a replacement title. Time passes and then he says he went down and the state said there was a lien (that was cleared in 2005 per my title) and the PO had to get paperwork from the loan company. then more time passes and he said the PO wasn't working with him and so HE had to file a lien and the paperwork he sent was supposed to get a CA state title in MY name so I could then register it in GA.
P. Simmons, Attorney