Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My question is, can I use illustrations in my book from a

broadway show I saw. For...
My question is, can I use illustrations in my book from a broadway show I saw. For example, my children saw the Broadway show Aladdin and they wrote about their experience. They drew pictures. Now I want to make a book and self publish. I found an illustrator to my their drawings more professional. Can I use the professional illustrations our families children's book that we are creating?
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: none
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no, no I haven't started the book yet just want to know before I begin to hire a professional illustrator
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a military spouse in New York and that I have taken the wonderful opportunities that the military have afforded us through complimentary Broadway shows and my children and I have reflected upon them through poetry.
8/8/2017
Bill Attorney

This is attorney Bill offering assistance to your copyright law question.

Your children's illustrations are their own copyright so they have all the rights in these drawings so there is not going to be a copyright infringement here.

If you were using the actual screen shots, not their work, then the use would be subject to the doctrine of fair use or a licensing arrangement.

Under the doctrine of fair use you would be entitled to use the exact screenshots according to law.

17 USC 107

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1)

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2)

the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3)

the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4)

the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Just to conclude I don't see a copyright infringement from what you described.

Please follow up with me when you need additional information .

In return remember to rate positively today before exiting.

This gives me a credit for my answer and response.

Topdo this remember to rate 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
it is okay for me to have a professional illustrator take their work and make it more professional looking for a children's book my girls and I are creating? They have written poetry and descriptions about their experience and I want to self publish our work.
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer