I have a foreclosure that's being handled by my servicing…

I have a foreclosure that's...
I have a foreclosure that's being handled by my servicing company's lawyers who have been dragging their feet and prolonging the process. I was notified by the management of my servicing co. that if I switched lawyers I would have to start the foreclosure process all over again and I would lose all the work that has been done to date. I've already paid their lawyers for the foreclosure and I thought that they would provide the files to my new lawyer to pick it up from where they left off. Are they giving me the correct information on this, will I have to start all over again and lose all the money I've already paid to the servicing co. lawyers?
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/7/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry that you are having to go through foreclosure. Sometimes the process can drag on a little bit longer than most people light. Most of the reason is because State Statute typically requires that there be a minimum amount of time that passed to help homeowners potentially stay in their home by paying off the balance in preventing a sale of the property and having the homeowners eventually move out.

However, your lawyer should not be the ones making this process go on a little bit longer. As a practicing attorney I can tell you that many times things take a little bit longer and cost a little bit more than you tend to expect because of the different scenarios that tend to pop up. However, lawyer still have an ethical duty to act as quickly as they can on a client matter no matter what. Therefore, if you fire previous attorneys and you have a new lawyer, then the new lawyer should pick up right where the old lawyers left off. The new lawyers will typically request copies of all of the documentation regarding your matter and the old lawyers are ethically bound to provide all of that documentation to the new lawyers as soon as possible. The foreclosure process will not start all over again simply because you changed attorneys. In fact, this would be prejudicial to the lender because they would have to wait even longer before they're able to get paid if they need to sell the home. Therefore, the information as you are receiving is incorrect.

Although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me approximately how long a foreclosure should take in the state of Virginia. Alexandria Virginia to be exact? I just want to compare notes.

I see what you mean and you are certainly welcome, keep in mind that it really depends on everybody situation, but to my understanding it usually takes anywhere between 2 to 3 months for the foreclosure process to complete. Did you have any other questions for me?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
No, thanks for your assistance. Five stars and a tip will be provided. Have a good day.

You bet and thank you so much!