Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Went to court house checked on my deeds to two propertys and…

Customer Question
Went to court house...

Went to court house checked on my deeds to two propertys and to see what is owed both had mtg released what does that mean can i sell them? and wife has passed away how do i remove her name from deed thank you in advance

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Penna

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that i know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

At the presant time i would like to sell both do to retireing and getting remarried thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
8/7/2017
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Roger, Attorney

HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Did you own the property with your wife as joint tenants with rights of survivorship?

can not aford it at presant time thank you

Ok. Thanks.

If you owned the property as joint tenants, you would be the fee simple / 100% owner of the property and you can do with it whatever you wish. Also, if the mortgage liens are released, then you should be able to sell/transfer the property and retain the funds (since there are no liens/debts against the property).

As for removing your wife's name from the title, you can issue a quitclaim deed from yourself to yourself, noting that your spouse has passed away.....but there is no legal requirement to do this since you had a joint tenancy.

Roger, Attorney