Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a small problem that can possibly become quite

Customer Question
Hello. I have...

Hello. I have a small problem that can possibly become quite damaging to my business. A little background first. my business launched a bit premature not quite having the export permits it needs to function, but my customers were made aware of this. They were also updated constantly about the proceedings to get the permits. 5 months after the first presales, the permits were issued... I have a brand new Colombian Nursery that is legal to export to other parts of the world. One of my customers has been impatient & just starting demanding his cash back after I explained that shipping options fell through, & I am waiting on a new option via customs brokers. This I should receive in the coming week.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

This customer reported that i have not provided him with his products to Paypal... This has caused me to be unable to access any money that might come to me to help with costs of shipping which is the problem... I am in Colombia, but am a US citizen. I am asking more about international law anyway as the problem is about private business matters being made public to damage the business...

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He reported to PayPal, but as yet has not been escalated. I use facebook for most of my sales & advertising... he has blocked me there, & has told a group admin of the situation... The group admin was threatening me today. If he publicizes this openly, my business will be deestroyed before I can even respond to his complaint.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am just interested in keeping him from publicizing this problem while I try to fix it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
8/7/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, this is a contract issue with paypal. When someone files a dispute against someone with a paypal account, under the paypal terms of service they can freeze the account. If you have not delivered to a customer within the time specified or if you have not been able to deliver, the customer legally had a right to demand refund. Thus, you need to resolve this with the customer and negotiate a resolution for them to drop their claim with paypal against you which would allow paypal to release your account. If you do not do so, paypal will not release your account until the dispute is resolved on their end and that could be several weeks.
I would find a way to reach out to him to get him a refund to make him happy at this point, because legally he has you if you did not deliver to him as agreed, regardless of your reason.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
You did not answer my question. I know all that.He is talking publicly about this problem on Facebook where I am building my business. What can I do to stop that? He is also interferring with 11 other orders that are pending to be sent with his. This was part of the original sale & shipping agreement to reduce costs to the customer.
Unfortnunately, that means he is infringing on the rihts of my other customers with this problem & has gone beyond negotiable relations. He pulled this knowing I cannot get a shipping option until the actual work week, & is badmouthing me publicly while I am waiting on the broker quotes to be able to ship. There has to be something to do to stop that... He has known since day one that I am starting a new small business, & that we are just barely getting started. This is a vindictive move due to impatience... He has been informed through the whole process.
Thank you for your reply and clarifying your question.
Legally, if he is making truthful statements about your business, there is nothing you can do about it. He has a right to make public statements that he has regarding his opinion of your business based on the facts. If he is making known false statements about your business, THEN you can file a civil suit against him for defamation (libel) for writing known false statements about your business.
However, there is no legal action to take against anyone for posting their bad opinions about a business deal if they are not making known false statements, even though it might be hurting your business.
You claim he had been informed about the situation all the through, so presuming he is making known false statements your next step since he would not communicate with him would be you can file a civil suit against him for defamation/libel and you can seek a court order to remove the posts and also for money damages you can prove he cost your business.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney