RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My wife just got picked up and was wondering if federal

Customer Question

My wife just got picked up and was wondering if federal gives bail?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know yet. But it refers to identify theft
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She's only been in trouble one other time and did like almost 7 year in regular prison.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

There is indeed bail in the federal system. Upon a defendant's first appearance in court, a federal magistrate judge will decide if they should be released, with or without bail, or held in jail. There may be a hearing to determine whether they should be released and, if so, what the conditions of their release will be.

There is no fixed bail amount in federal court. A magistrate judge releases you on conditions sufficient to ensure your continued appearance in court. The conditions of your bail vary depending on the seriousness of the charges against you, your criminal history, your ties to the community, and your financial circumstances.

A very good explanation of bail in the federal system can be found here.