Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a landlord charge you another deposit double the amount…

Customer Question
Can a landlord charge...

Can a landlord charge you another deposit double the amount when you sign a new contract?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

It is in Apple Valley California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

By the renters or rentee?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They made us pay for re novations they said it was filthy but nothing was cleaned from the other rentefs

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
8/6/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your landlord can ask for an additional security deposit in addition to increasing rent upon renewal of the lease. As long as the security deposit total does not exceed 2 times the monthly rent they are within the CA landlord tenant laws.
They cannot charge you for ordinary wear and tear or remodeling, if they have, you can sue them for refund for trying to make you pay for anything other than damage you caused to the property.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney