Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I presented a quote to do a roof. They agreed and gave me…

Customer Question
I presented a quote to...
I presented a quote to do a roof . They agreed and gave me the deposit. 5 days later started questioning my referrals . I contacted them and left the message of the homeowners intention of getting a referral . They called back the homeowner and ansewrd her questions . Agreement to do the roof was on Sunday the filling fryday I showed up as promised to get started and they wouldn't talk to me . They called police who told me she wants her money back and FYI leave. I left a lot of the deposit is to get the job going and that's what I used it for . Do I have to give it all back or what's left at the time she asked for it
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You need to send them an itemized bill of what the deposit was used for materials or whatever.If you used it for materials you cannot reuse then they belong to the party if you used the deposit for it.Take the time to itemize the charges because you may get sued.It is not realistic for them to expect a refund if you had labor or supplies but you need to address it to them what the money went for.

And you really need to consider a contract for your services.It should state in the event of cancellation the deposit is nonrefundable to avoid this problem.\

I appreciate the chance to help you , thanks again and the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

In Texas the quote and the meeting to go over it and the acceptance by issuing a check is not a contract

You can argue it both ways, it could be an oral contract but then there are no terms like I mention above.

The terms were 1/2 the money to get the job done and balance upon completion

So then send them a bill showing what you spent the money on, labor, materials or whatever.If you didn't use it all refund the balance.

Remember you will have to defend this if sued in small claims.

Here are free contract forms

https://www.sampletemplates.com/contract-templates/roofing-contract-template.html

Thanks

Bye for now, stars at top of page.

Ray, Lawyer