Is this service free? I live, have property in NY state and…

Customer Question
Is this service free? ...

Is this service free?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

I live, have property in NY state and am trying to evict a tenant who has not paid rent for over 3 months. I have a lawyer(paid him $1,500 six weeks ago) but he has not served her with papers. How can I do this myself?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I told you---NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

All that my lawyer has done is to communicate with her legal aid lawyer.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/6/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You cannot serve the person yourself, since you are the plaintiff, you have to hire a process server or have some disinterested person 18 or older serve the tenant the suit for eviction and summons to appear.
You need to start by making sure you have given the tenant a 3 day notice to pay or evict in writing. If you have not done this yet, you need to go to the house or have someone go to the house and hand them the 3 day notice and also stick a copy in the mail. If they are not home tack a copy of the notice to the main entry to the house.
After the 3 day period expires, then you have to go to the NY court and file a complaint for eviction. You would need to then get the sheriff to serve them the suit and summons or you need to hire a professional process server to serve them the suit and summons. If they fail to answer, then you can go to court and get an eviction by default judgment. Once you have that if they do not leave, you bring that to the sheriff and they will forcibly remove them and their property from the premises.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.