Second opinion] I am trying to get a settlement for my minor…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I am trying...
Second opinion] I am trying to get a settlement for my minor child from a LARGE well known company. I do not have an attorney I am trying to settle out of court. I am now being told by their insurance company that A.R.S. 14-5103 states they need a judge approval. They are also trying to order that all settlement be placed in a bank account for my minor child. How do I get them to release funds to me (the parent) so that I may use the funds to pay my out of pocket expenses, the minors medical bills, and to provide further care for my child? I do not know the amount of the settlement so I do not know weather or not it will exceed $10,000 but I believe it should so I don't know what to do if the amount exceeds $10,000.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/6/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Michael Bradley

What the insurance company is telling you is correct. Any kind of judgment that involves a minor is going to need a court order. Once the court ordered is entered then the account will be set up. I would ask the insurance company to put a provision in to allow you to reimburse yourself for the expenses that you have listed and have been paid by you or need to be paid. If the insurance company will not allow you to do that then you can petition the court to allow those bills to be paid.