I was accused of telling an untruth in a law suit and I

Customer Question
I was accused of...

I was accused of telling an untruth in a law suit and I proved I did not also falsely accused of sexual molestation in front of witnesses, can I sue for libel

Lawyer's Assistant: What evidence is there regarding damages from the statement?

I have a written statement by IT proving I did lie in my testimony and the sexual harassment was not even possible and there were witness to the allegation

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There was a law suit against me in my husbands estate he judge ruled in my favor but plaintiff has filed another suit

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was POA, son upset about it I was harassed and hassled about every decision I made as POA

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

If there were false statements made against you outside the course of testimony, discovery or pleadings in litigation then, yes, you could have a viable claim for defamation.

However, statements made in the course of litigation are, as a general rule, privilege and immune from claims of defamation.

That is not to say a party can not be prosecuted criminally for intentionally making false statements under oath, but a civil defamation claim is not a viable option in such matters.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want to see you spinning your wheels with this.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney