Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a question to ask you if i was charged one a drug

Customer Question
my name is ***** *****...
my name is ***** ***** and i have a question to ask you if i was charged one a drug case back in 99 then the judge double charged me again with that case can something be done bout that
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ga
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
8/5/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What happened to the case when you were first charged back in 1999? When were you charged with it again? Were you charged by the same court with the identical charges and same set of facts?

i did a little time but when it was time for me to get out the judge went and grab my same case and charged me again with that
it was judge dane perkins in alapaha districts here in nashville ga
zoey can u call me at(###) ###-####

Calling is a premium service requiring an extra fee. We can continue here at no additional charge to you, but I don't have enough information.

Were you convicted the first time around? Was the second case identical in all respects to the first case? Did all of this happen 18 years ago?

jan 1999 and the second case shouldnt happen
the judge didnt like me

I can't tell that unless you provide me with the details I have asked for.

if i can talk to you ill give you more infomation

i have sent you information regarding a phone call. If you are not interested, please type here and give me more information.

hopeful ill find some one got to go i left my number for you to talk i dont have no 59.00 dollars sorry

Sorry, but as I've said, phone calls are a paid premium service.

If the two cases were in every respect identical -- same exact charges, same exact time and place of occurrence, same exact incident -- then if you were convicted of the first case, you cannot be charged again by the same court.

If that's what happened to you, your lawyer could have argued for dismissal on double jeopardy grounds. If it was denied your attorney could have filed an appeal upon your conviction.

If your second case was unlawful, you could still challenge it on Constitutional grounds by bringing a motion before the judge asking that the conviction be overturned on double jeopardy grounds. An illegal sentence is never too old for a motion to overturn the conviction, so you can still bring it even after 18 years.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney