Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Wrote a bad ck for 5000 but paid 1000 on it, they want the

Customer Question

wrote a bad ck for 5000 but paid 1000 on it , they want the entire amount by Monday but I told them I need 2 weeks, thsy said they are going to the police. can I still get arrested I did pay some of it back
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: connecticut
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: they said they have an affidted filed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Yes. They can have you charged, even if you made partial payment. It doesn't make the act itself lawful. If you deliberately passed a check knowing that it would be dishonored and if it then bounced, you can be charged criminally.

Here's the statute that applies in your state.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.