In California, what is the difference between a Motion to…

Customer Question
In California, what is the...
In California, what is the difference between a Motion to Augment an Appeal vs. a Judicial Notice to Appeal? Can I combine the two into one? What should I call it? Give examples of what goes into each option.
Marjorie
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/5/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
These are two separate motions. The Notice of Appeal is a notice filed in the TRIAL court that notifies the court that you plan on filing an appeal.
The Motion to Augment Record on Appeal is a motion to the court to ask the court to allow you to add additional records from the case that was not attached to the record by the court but was in the court records. You cannot add in anything that was not presented in the lower court, just ask for them to add in documents or physical evidence that they did not include in the record sent to the appeals court. This is done after the record is transmitted to the appeal court and you find they may not have included documents or evidence from the lower court you believe would assist the appeals court in making their decision.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.