Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

A lady bought a miniature poodle puppy from me in April and…

Customer Question
A lady bought a...

A lady bought a miniature poodle puppy from me in April and I let her buy him on time because at the last minute she could not come up with the money and she promised her daughter she could have a puppy. She was giving him to her daughter for Easter which was the next day. I asked her how she could make payments and she said every three weeks she would send me at least one hundred dollars and sometimes it would be more. I sell the puppies for $850.00. She put nothing down and in three weeks I didn't hear from her, and then another three weeks went by and didn't hear from her so I started trying to contact her and she wouldn't respond to my calls. Finally, after a few weeks she called and said she had mailed the money to me and was surprised I hadn't received it. She finally came to my house and gave me two hundred of the three she owed saying the bank had put a stop on the checks since they had never been cashed but the third one they were holding for a few days and she would be sending it soon. Of course it never came and three weeks went by with no word and then another three weeks have gone by. so now she owes three hundred more. I've been trying to contact her but she won't respond. I had her sign a statement saying she would pay at least one hundred every three weeks for the puppy. (I watch Judge Judy ha ha) I didn't know how you go to small claims court or if there is an easier way to collect money from people and I wondered how you a court gets someone to pay if they just ignore everyone. Also, If she is told to give me back the puppy I'm going to have to sell him several hundred dollars cheaper along with the expence of advertising him so I don't feel like I should have to give her back her two hundred. People who buy these puppies want them when they are tiny.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? You can discuss that with the Lawyer or ask for a different Lawyer. Has anything been filed or reported?

Indiana. Nothing has been filed.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
8/5/2017
Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 months ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question that I can answer for you about the situation you have described in your post?

should I go to small claims court and if so how do you file a claim and will I need a lawyer?
Tina, Lawyer