I want to sue a person on Facebook. Is it possible? No I…

Customer Question
Hello I want to...

Hello I want to sue a person on Facebook. Is it possible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has a complaint been filed and served? What are the claims in the case?

No I haven't filed it yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I have not done anything yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ok. Maybe we connect

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/5/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your relationship with the person on Facebook? Do you know who and where the person actually is? What do you hope to be suing for?

Hi thank you for your response. I am from Uzbekistan. The person I am going to sue has posted an irritating and frustrating post on Instagram. That post contains very bad information about my nation and my country.
Here's the post
Here's his Facebook profile

In order to sue someone, you have to have a lawful cause of action, you need to have what we call legal standing to be able to sue, and you need to have incurred damages -- economic or physical injury as a direct result of the person's actions.

The fact that he has a negative opinion of your country and that he expressed it doesn't give you -- in and of itself -- a personal legal interest that would allow you to bring suit against him.

This is not a negative opinion. This is humiliation. He did this intentionally to irritate people.

I'm sure that's true. But unless he was targeting you specifically, you don't have the legal standing to sue him. Just because you are from a particular country doesn't authorize you to bring suit in the name of your country's government and seek monetary damages in their name. If he were posting untrue and humiliating comments about YOU on Facebook, that would be a different story.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.