How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34486
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a debt from a theft in 2005 from an old employer. I

Customer Question

I have a debt from a theft in 2005 from an old employer. I have been paying them regularly and recieving letters from a debt collector law firm. i still owe 17,000 and have received a final notice letter to pay in full. Should I or how should i respond.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: PA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was never arrested for it. I have not been sued either but have made monthly payments to the law firm
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a written payment agreement with the employer regarding the payment plan?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it was in 2005 when i sat down with loss prevention which told me take how ever long you need to repay back. i have no copies of this file and unsure if the company or lawyer would at this time since it was 2005. the total amount owed was 49,000 and still owe 17,000 which i pay in small increments monthly over the last 12 years
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If you have no written agreement and have been making voluntary payments then they can demand full payment at any time.

Contact the collection agent by certified mail. Demand from them written documentation of the obligation. If they can not provide it then demand they stop contacting you. It is unlikely the employer will be able to sue or initiate any criminal proceeding so long after the incident and without any signed document from you.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!