I wasn't sure what category of Law this question fell under.

Customer Question
Hi,I wasn't sure what category...
Hi,I wasn't sure what category of Law this question fell under. A family member of mine helped me purchase a car in the past because I had no SSN or credit at the time. The car loan is under his name. However, I drive the car every day to and from work. Yesterday, the vehicle was repossessed. I understand that since I am not the owner, I may not have a right to redeem the vehicle without family member.However, the vehicle was repossessed with a LOT of my personal property in it.I had just picked up ALL my work clothes from the Dry Cleaners and my laptop is still in there with a lot of my mail I had just picked up.I do have insurnace for that vehicle assigned to my name. However, are they under any obligation to allow me to obtain my personal property from the vehicle? I read other resources and understood that repossession companies are not required to abide by VSF License rules since they are towing at the consent of the lien holder.However, I would like a professional opinion. I am not too worried about being able to redeem the vehicle. I can go this upcoming week when my cousin (owner on title) comes back from vacation. However, I really need to recover all my work clothes and laptop.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
8/5/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to have proof of ownership, such as registration at the least with your name on it. If you do not have your name on the registration at the least, even though you have insurance in your name, you would need to get the family member to accompany you to the impound lot and then they must grant you access to recover your personal property from the car.
Some impound lots, even though they do not have to do so, will allow you access if you just show the insurance card on the car with your name on it. But most of these lots have nasty employees who do not even want to allow true owners access and they do not have to let you access the car with only the insurance card legally so if they refuse you, then you need to return with the owner listed on the registration.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney