Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Second opinion] I am a licensed mental health professional

Customer Question

Second opinion] I am a licensed mental health professional and have a question about a state statute.JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?Customer: IndianaJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: NoJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: No
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am a clinical social worker and want to know if I can refer to myself as providing psychological services. Here is the state statute. From my understanding, it seems I can as long as I don't refer to myself as a psychologist and practice within the scope of my license.IC 25-33-1-14 Unlicensed practice prohibited
Sec. 14. (a) This section does not apply to an individual who is:
(1) a member of a teaching faculty, at a public or private postsecondary educational institution for the purpose of teaching, research, or the exchange or dissemination of information and ideas as an assigned duty of the institution;
(2) a commissioned psychology officer in the regular United States armed services;
(3) licensed by the department of education (established by IC 20-19-3-1) as a school psychologist and using the title "school psychologist" or "school psychometrist" as an employee of a school corporation; or
(4) endorsed as an independent practice school psychologist under IC 20-28-12.
(b) It is unlawful for an individual to:
(1) claim that the individual is a psychologist; or
(2) use any title which uses the word "psychologist", "clinical psychologist", "Indiana endorsed school psychologist", or "psychometrist", or any variant of these words, such as "psychology", or "psychological", or "psychologic";
unless that individual holds a valid license issued under this article or a valid endorsement issued under IC 20-28-12.
(c) It is unlawful for any individual, regardless of title, to render, or offer to render, psychological services to individuals, organizations, or to the public, unless the individual holds a valid license issued under this article or a valid endorsement issued under IC 20-28-12 or is exempted under section 1.1 of this chapter.
(d) This section may not be interpreted to prevent a licensed or certified health care professional from practicing within the scope of the health care professional's:
(1) license or certification; and
(2) training or credentials.IC 25-33-1-1.1 Exempt persons
Sec. 1.1. (a) Subject to subsection (b), this article exempts a person who does not profess to be a psychologist and who is: (1) a licensed marriage and family therapist;
(2) a licensed social worker or a licensed clinical social worker;
(3) a licensed mental health counselor;
(4) a minister, priest, rabbi, or other member of the clergy providing pastoral counseling or other assistance;
(5) a licensed or certified health care professional;
(6) a licensed attorney;
(7) a student, an intern, or a trainee pursuing a course of study in psychology in an accredited postsecondary educational institution or training institution if the psychology activities are performed under qualified supervision and constitute a part of the person's supervised course of study or other level of supervision as determined by the board;
(8) an employee of or a volunteer for a nonprofit corporation or an organization performing charitable, religious, or educational functions, providing pastoral counseling or other assistance; or
(9) any other certified or licensed professional.
(b) To be exempt under this article, a person described under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), (a)(3), (a)(5), (a)(6), (a)(7) or (a)(9) must provide services: (1) within the scope of the person's practice, license, education, and training; and
(2) according to any applicable ethical standards of the person's profession
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

You would be exempted from this section...

2) a licensed social worker or a licensed clinical social worker as long as you provide services: (1) within the scope of the person's practice, license, education, and training; and

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.