How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1612
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a daughter who is mentally delayed she does not speak

Customer Question

I have a daughter who is mentally delayed she does not speak and she has a hearing loss in one ear and very little hearing in her right ear. Her father takes her to help clean buildings and they go everyday including weekend and some times she gets in very late I feel he is taking advantage because she can't express her feelings
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Northern Ca
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: did you receive my 1st message ?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

If you believe your daughter is being taken advantage of, the only legal means you can take to prevent this is if you have a guardian ad litem appointed over her and have them open a legal proceeding against the father for what he is doing to your daughter.

This would require the court to determine that your daughter is not able to effectively represent herself; which would make sense based on your description. And if the guardian is not appointed, then the court must be determining that she can effectively represent herself and consequently, she is not being taken care.