How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42825
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother Is in a nursing home for about three years. Her

Customer Question

My mother Is in a nursing home for about three years. Her house was used to pay tor her care. I am her disabled son living in the house paying for upkeep and taxes. I was told that after 5 years the house will become mine. The house was paid for when she was moved into the facility.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: PA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The nursing home copied the deed etc
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am so uninformed that I can't answer that
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

So is she on medicaid here and she still has legal title?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is on Medicaid. I think the nursing home has possession of her deed
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

So here the state can assert a lien after she deceases.There is a hardship waiver request form you can send in when she deceases to request a waiver of the lien they have.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was told that a disabled child no matter how old they are can stay in the house indefinitely. My question is do I get the house after a few years?
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Form to do that when the time comes


As a disabled son you can make such a request and have it granted and this allows you to live in the house for your lifetime.You do have to send this end asap when she deceases.

Thanks again and thanks for positive rating 5 stars..

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

This will tell you all about estate recovery