Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My mother Is in a nursing home for about three years. Her

Customer Question

My mother Is in a nursing home for about three years. Her house was used to pay tor her care. I am her disabled son living in the house paying for upkeep and taxes. I was told that after 5 years the house will become mine. The house was paid for when she was moved into the facility.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: PA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The nursing home copied the deed etc
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am so uninformed that I can't answer that
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

So is she on medicaid here and she still has legal title?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is on Medicaid. I think the nursing home has possession of her deed
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

So here the state can assert a lien after she deceases.There is a hardship waiver request form you can send in when she deceases to request a waiver of the lien they have.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was told that a disabled child no matter how old they are can stay in the house indefinitely. My question is do I get the house after a few years?
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Form to do that when the time comes

ttps://www.phillyvip.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/DPW-Undue-Hardship-Waiver-Request-Form.pdf

As a disabled son you can make such a request and have it granted and this allows you to live in the house for your lifetime.You do have to send this end asap when she deceases.

Thanks again and thanks for positive rating 5 stars..

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

This will tell you all about estate recovery

http://www.dhs.pa.gov/citizens/estaterecoveryprogram/