My 2nt cousin (whom I have not seen in years) showed up on…

Customer Question
Hi, My 2nt cousin...

Hi, My 2nt cousin (whom I have not seen in years) showed up on my doorstop last Thurs night with her 26 yr old son. I have tried to help them find work and was willing to help them get settled into an apt but I can see thet they intend to just mooch off of me. The final straw came this morning. When I told her that this was not working and that she and her son needed to leave she looked me right in the eye and said, "We'er not going anywhere" My blood ran a bit cold and I realized that I may be in big trouble here. Do I have to give them notice as if they were tenets? Thank you, ***** ***** Foster

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sandy Utah but this is not employment, it is ARE THET Tennents? Do they have any rights to stay in my home against my will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am ready thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
8/4/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Just for clarity. They have been in my home for 8 nights. They have provided me with no money or promise of. I think I may be dealing with professional bums.

Please don't shoot the messenger here.Once they are guests they are month to month tenants here in Utah.Give them a notice to quit or pay rent and then file to evict them.Set the rent high here.You will have to evict them , you go to court on your eviction suit and get order and sheriff will come kick them out.Sorry but this is the legal means here to get them out.It will take about 6 weeks total.

Three day notice

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/document/utah-eviction-notice.rl#/

Court forms

https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/landlord/eviction.html

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and good luck.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated, they are tenants here.

what about the trespass amendment, passed this May? 76-6-206.4 do you think this might help me?

No you let them in to stay with you, if they were strangers it would be different.Here boyfriend, girlfriend, cousin, or child grown up all become month to month tenants and you have to send notice and evict.This isn't their first roseo as they say here I bet they've been evicted else where and know the system.

Ray, Lawyer