How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19664
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am moving from were i live now due to its unfit for me and

Customer Question

I am moving from were i live now due to its unfit for me and my grandkids its a garage i have no running water or a bath room when i movved in i knew it didnt have it but i was told it would be done.and he just turned off my electricity
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Im in California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I called the sheriffs to come they were told to turn it back on.nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Last month i paid my rent and electrical bill andthe electricity was shut off from 6/06 till 6/28 i lost all my food that month and spent off and on at motels trying to keep cool.i am disabled and have children staying with me.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What can i do since i stopped giving them my rent money due to fact im living in unsuitable unhealthy living conditions,since they have not done anything to fix shower ,no bathroom nothing.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the information.

First and foremost, you need to find a way to vacate the property immediately. That is not a safe environment for you and your family.

You need to report the Landlord to City's Inspectional Services Department/Sanitary Code Department.

You should also file complaint with your DA/Prosecutor's office so that the Landlord could be criminally charged for the actions or inactions regarding your living situation.

Furthermore, you need to file compliant with your Attorney General's Office.

Lastly, you need to file lawsuit against the Landlord at the Superior Court in the County where the property is located to recover all rent paid. Click here to locate your Courthouse and forms and instructions.

Best wishes,