Tenant is subleasing their apartment to me temporarily, but…

Customer Question
Tenant is subleasing their...

Tenant is subleasing their apartment to me temporarily , but they're drawing their own lease that which won't be through the landlord? Is this normal or legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

Written

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Yes, it would be legal as the prime tenant would just be your landlord and you would be their tenant. You wouldn't have any legal relationship with the actual landlord, only with the prime tenant.

.

It only goes through the landlord if the prime tenant is actually assigning their lease to you..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks