Who has experienced fraud in Belize by Cult operating as an…

Customer Question
I am US Citizen...

I am US Citizen who has experienced fraud in Belize by Cult operating as an NGO in Belize. I have contacted the US Embassy here that has told me that the embasssy is not a law enforcement agency. i have been scammed out thousands of dollars which was supposed to be for land. What is my legal recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: What's the mission of the nonprofit organization?

To educate people on healthy eating of fruits and vegetables and a "wholisitic living way of Life", as well as distribute educational publications.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just went to the U.S. embassy the day before yesterday. They said that they could do nothing without a written contract. I was supposed to be given a contract, but I submitted the monies first. I have proposed handwritten contract that was asked of me before I gave the funds to the leader of the organization. I went to a lawyer's office before going to the embassy. They recommended me to the embassy.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have my bank statements, and several meetings that I recorded, as well as a video of the head of the organization and his assistant(s) showing me the land they were clearing that I made payment for. Also, the embassy said that others have made complaints about this same organization. I did not realize that they were a cult.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
8/4/2017
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

How did you become in contact with them in the first place? Have you reported them to Belize law enforcement?

Can you answer my questions?

Tina, Lawyer