My local township passed a trash ordinance requiring

Customer Question
My local township passed...

My local township passed a trash ordinance requiring everyone to have to pay for trash disposal even if they do not pick up trash at my residence. It was passed in 2010. I never received a notice about it because I had never been signed up with any trash company in the 22 years we have lived here.We compost and reuse our trash so we do not need a trash company. When the ordinance was originally passed, Penn Waste was the original trash company. Penn Waste never notified us or tried to have us pay for service. The township then signed a contract with a different trash company , for 5 years, who did ask us to pay but dropped the request because they were not picking up any trash from our house. Last year the township switched back to Penn Waste and they have sued us twice for non payment even though they never have picked up any trash from our house now. We have had to pay them for doing absolutely nothing. I went to the first hearing and was told, by the district magistrate, that everyone has to pay to help keep costs low even if they do not pick up my trash. Is this legal? Even if they did not require me to pay initially?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a real estate attorney about this?

No, would they be able to help?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In Hanover, Pennsylvania

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

One of the things that you could do is sue the township for their actions. Basically, you would sue them for knowingly overcharging. If you weren't the only ones that had this happen to them, then you may want to consider filing a class action lawsuit against the city. Because I don't practice in your town she'll come I wouldn't be able to cite for you with the specific code that goes along with this, but this is a relatively common thing. If you click here you can see something that happened in my hometown weird the government was over charging people.

No

It is probable that there was a city ordinance that says that the city is only going to charge a certain amount for services. Now, if the services have never been rendered then you're being overcharged for those services. So, it is possible that you may be able to either 1) I have the previous bills against you be wiped out or 2) have the services actually come to your home.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.