My son is a student at a flight school. The renter's

Customer Question
Hello. My son is...

Hello. My son is a student at a flight school. The renter's agreement that he signed says that there are no refunds, only school credits. He is moving out of the area and commuting to the school is not financially smart. He has asked for a refund of his student funds and the owner said they don't do refunds. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

State of Florida. He has been a student for 2 years now. It wasn't a purchase, he has funds in his student account.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We requested a refund via email and verbally, the owner said they don't do refunds.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if he can legally keep the funds.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/3/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 1 year ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, looking forward to your response.

The agreement is generally binding, but it can be cancelled if the other side breached it, misled him, can fill the space, allows subletting. Obviously in most such situations the parties tend to settle on a sublet or a penalty for early termination.

are those options helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Subletting? I'm not sure how this fits into a flight/aviation school. I guess my concern was with how enforceable is this agreement if the student (my son) is moving out of the area.

Relocation is not a basis to cancel the agreement.

My suggestion is to try and settle since contractually they appear to be in the right.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you

Very welcome. often you can negotiate a discount in such situations.

Kindly rate me 5 stars. Have a nice weekend.