Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My question is about summary dissolution. My husband wants

Customer Question

My question is about summary dissolution. My husband wants me to fill out and sign a summary dissolution. In many questions it says "exclude car loans". My husband bought a car under his name while we were married and has to pay the loan. How does this work in this kind of divorce because i don't want to pay for him?
Also I'm not a us citizen, do I have to write down my separate properties from my country?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In any divorce, summary dissolution or regular divorce, both parties must disclose all assets and debts and if there is separate property or debt, it would be designated as such upon disclosure. So you need to disclose your separate property and state it is separate property.
As far as the car loans, you need to clarify in that document that the car loan is his separate debt, not a community debt to make it clear you are not liable, even though the loan is in his name.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok because we bought the car during the marriage, so is it community property? Title and loan are under his name. I don't want to pay even half of it, and he won't agree to deal with this debt without my help.And about the separate properties abroad I'm not sure I understood, do I have to write it down even if it's not in the US?Thank you

Thank you for your reply.

Because you bought the car during the marriage it is only PRESUMED community property. Since you do not want to be liable for the loan and it is in his name, you need to let him keep the car as his separate property and be liable for the loan himself and not you.

You have to list it even if it is not in the US and you just state it is separate property.