My former divorce attorney is witholding my file and

Customer Question
My former divorce attorney...

My former divorce attorney is witholding my file and personal property (daughter's passport). I have vacation scheduled in a little over a week out of the country with my daughter as well as a hearing scheduled in 3 weeks. I have requested my file no less than 5 times since she withdrew from my case in June. I have contacted 15 attorneys for representation - most cite "conflict of interest".

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the property purchased during the marriage? Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?

It's my daughter's passport.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/3/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your attorney is bound by the rules of professional conduct to turn over the client files. Client files according to the PA disciplinary board opinions belong to the client and the attorney must surrender those files or face sanctions from the disciplinary board. So you need to go in person to collect your property and if they refuse to do so, then you can contact the PA disciplinary board and file a complaint and you could also sue the attorney using a local attorney to recover not just your property, but also damages caused to you from them withholding the property from you improperly.
See PA Ethics Opinion (copy and paste link to browser, do not click it): http://www.padisciplinaryboard.org/documents/PBAFO2007-100-CLIENT-FILES.pdf
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.