Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How can I get a 5150 hold expunged from my 20 year old

Customer Question

How can I get a 5150 hold expunged from my 20 year old daughter's records
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She was the psychiatric facility for a 72 hour old, so it has been filed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what will be the cost do get this expunged and what do I need to do?
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: Ok. thanks!
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Your 5150 matter does not show up on a criminal background check because it is not an arrest. And as for a civil background check, the 5150 matter is protected by an individual’s right to privacy pursuant to Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code section 5328 (with certain exceptions - see HERE). So unless it falls under one of the exceptions, there is really no need to do anything about it - it is not public record. (Also, it goes to the ATF/DOJ in case she wants to purchase a firearm - let me know if that is the issue and we can discuss it.)

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.