How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3174
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i sue a person on facebook for deforming my character, i

Customer Question

hello can i sue a person on facebook for deforming my character
JA: Has a complaint been filed and served? What are the claims in the case?
Customer: i have not done any complain, but some other victims did the lady lives in uk, nd i live in us, she defame ome on facebook.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet from my side
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just wana be sure, i am on the process of my residence permit, but i want to be sure if i can take any action on the deformation nd it will not affect my stay in d state i jusr submitted my documents for my immigration process
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer?
Customer: i tried to speak to my lawyer in charge of my immigration application, he said its public resouce
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 2 months ago.


Suing a person for defamation of character would not affect your immigration application. A civil lawsuit is a separate civil proceeding and does not affect a person's immigration status.


Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, so how do I go about it sir
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 2 months ago.

A civil lawsuit commences by serving the defendant with a summons and complaint stating the factual basis of your claim and requesting the relief your request (money damages) and filing the summons and complaint in court. Since this person is in the UK, it would be difficult to sue her in the U.S. You might have to sue her in the U.K. I would attempt to contact the other victims who you say have already sued her, and see where the lady was sued, and in what court.