Can i sue a person on facebook for deforming my character, i…

Customer Question
Hello can i sue...

Hello can i sue a person on facebook for deforming my character

Lawyer's Assistant: Has a complaint been filed and served? What are the claims in the case?

I have not done any complain, but some other victims did the lady lives in uk, nd i live in us, she defame ome on facebook.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet from my side

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just wana be sure, i am on the process of my residence permit, but i want to be sure if i can take any action on the deformation nd it will not affect my stay in d state i jusr submitted my documents for my immigration process

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

I tried to speak to my lawyer in charge of my immigration application, he said its public resouce

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/3/2017
Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney

Hello JACUSTOMER,

Suing a person for defamation of character would not affect your immigration application. A civil lawsuit is a separate civil proceeding and does not affect a person's immigration status.

Thomas

Ok, so how do I go about it sir

A civil lawsuit commences by serving the defendant with a summons and complaint stating the factual basis of your claim and requesting the relief your request (money damages) and filing the summons and complaint in court. Since this person is in the UK, it would be difficult to sue her in the U.S. You might have to sue her in the U.K. I would attempt to contact the other victims who you say have already sued her, and see where the lady was sued, and in what court.

Thomas