Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was married for seven months and wife wants a divorce, how…

Customer Question
I was married for...

I was married for seven months and wife wants a divorce, how can I get an annulment , thanks I,m in cook county, Georgia, and Isaid I'll pay the rent there for the rest of the least and move out,,,

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No that I know of, she can't work, and I moved her out of low income housing, to a duplex house,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has divorce papers ready for me to sign, I just want to walk away and don't have anything following me, because she didn't have anything before I met her,

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Unfortunately, merely being married a short time is not, in and of itself, grounds for annulment.

Annulment is only available in certain limited circumstances.

• you and your spouse are related by blood or marriage
  • you did not have the mental capacity to enter into a marriage contract
  • you were under the age of 16 when you entered into your marriage
  • you were forced to enter into the marriage
  • you were fraudulently induced to enter into the marriage, and
  • your spouse was married to another living spouse at the time you entered into the marriage.

If you do not satisfy one of the conditions listed above, then you must file a petition for divorce to dissolve your marriage.

That said, with such a short marriage, it is unlikely that the property settlement will be much more than dividing the wedding gifts.

There will be no alimony in a 7 month marriage.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want to see you spinning your wheels on the annulment issue.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney