How do I find out who owns the mineral rights under my land?

Customer Question
How do I find...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I do not know. We have not filed.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/3/2017
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Roger, Attorney

HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

In order to determine this, you will have to go to your county land records office and review the property deeds for your land to determine who owns them.....you will likely have to search back to the state land patents (first deed) because mineral rights are often severed from the topsoil early on.

Also, you will need to look at the Oil, Mineral & Gas records to find out who holds the mineral rights to your land (the mineral rights are usually leased by the owner to a company).